Skip to main content

Free, independent advice when making a complaint about your NHS treatment

HomeAdvocacyIndependent Health Complaints Advocacy

What we do

We can help you by providing information and practical support to make a formal complaint under the NHS complaints Regulations 2009.

Who is this service for?
I support adults, young people and children living in Manchester who wish to make a complaint to the NHS.If you live outside of the city of Manchester and would like support, please visit Greater Manchester NHS Complaints Advocacy Providers.

Is this service right for me?
I’m not able to provide legal advice or support claims for compensation. However, for legal advice around NHS care and treatment I can give you someone to talk to, which is Action Against Medical Accidents (AVMA)

If you have concerns about a healthcare professional’s fitness to practice, you can raise this with the according Regulations authority. Disciplinary action cannot be achieved through making a complaint. If you have a complaint about Private Healthcare, Citizens Advice can help you with how to do this.

IHCA Easy Read
IHCA Leaflet
Guide to making an NHS complaint
How to write an NHS complaint letter

How it works
I guide people through the formal NHS complaints process, by:

  • Helping you explore your options at the different stages by providing information that can help you decide what to do.
  • Providing you with information about how the NHS complaints process works.
  • Helping you understand what you can expect to achieve from the NHS complaints process
  • Helping you to compile issues you wish to raise in your complaint.
  • Supporting you to prepare for and attend Local Resolution Meetings with the NHS about your complaint.
  • Answering questions to help you make decisions.
  • Putting you in touch with other people or services that might be able to help you.

An Independent Health Complaint Advocate’s aim is to empower people to feel confident to make a complaint. Gaddum can also provide self-help guides and tools to assist you to write your own letter of complaint to the NHS.

What types of complaint

  • Complaints about NHS funded care and treatment in line with the NHS complaints regulations 2009.
  • Complaints at any stage of the NHS complaints procedure, including taking your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman.
  • A complaint about your own or on behalf of someone else with their consent (where appropriate)
  • Complaints within the 12-month timeframe, that have not been previously investigated.

Refer someone to IHCA

You can refer yourself to IHCA by clicking the button below.

You can make a complaint on behalf of someone else if you are their parent or guardian or if they have capacity to consent to your referral.

Professionals can also refer someone they are working with to this service.

Make a referral